29.8.10

Saturday Acquisitions



Borghese




The other day we had record lows of 70's in August. I went to an estate sale, let me rephrase that, the ultimate estate sale. I have been to many, but this one was one of the best I have seen. The little man had been a collector of many, many things and his home reflected that.Going thru his home, makes one wonder will my own children be captivated by by style and grace or will treasured finds go into the hands of another collector one day?
A fair question and one that did cross my mind as I looked past the vintage and well put together collections of many numerous decorative items.



I was really taken by the display of his findings throughout his life and career. The walls and rooms were a direct reflection of his life, travels and extensive love for the decorative arts. In his master bedroom, gentleman's dressing area and study were a wonderful homage to the horse and equine inspired pieces.As a horse lover and owner I am always drawn to the rare and inordinate piece.
So, it was on that morning that a pair of bookends caught my eye and drew me into a new and collective world of Borghese pieces.


I had to look this up, not knowing the history of a piece encourages me to search. I think that flea marketing and estate sale searching is not only fun and exciting but a learning experience for the finder and keeper.

 I knew that the little sticker meant something. I was pleasantly pleased to learn quite a bit from an Ebay follower who has enthusiastically searched the origin of the name.
To my dismay, the pair of hunter inspired bookends was not made in Italy at all.The place of manufacturer was in the USA, by Niepold's Inc of Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Pieces were manufactured from the beginning of the twentieth century up until production ceased sometime in the 1970's.



According to uncle griff; the origin of Borghese is a misconception to link the Borghese gardens of Rome. The origin seems to be a way to bring to those of moderate means decorative items with artistic merit and integrity of design.



The Borghese figurines, boxes, lamp bases, and bookends are molded in a hard high quality plaster and painted gold.The surfaces were then deliberately distressed and worn to mimic years of wear and patina.





The sticker that was under my pair of bookends.






The one side of the pair of hunter scene inspired bookends. I saw these on an old bureau in the gentleman's bedroom. Not even knowing their origin, I knew that I had to have them! I did grab them up and even managed to find a few more treasures along my way.







The other side of the pair. I love the patina and the age of these bookends. The hunter scene has always been a loved motif to me.
 This pair of bookends will reside in my family room book cases soon.







The panoramic scene as one! Just wonderful.






This is the side of the piece, the solid color is one of aged chestnut leather.
The surface is ribbed and trimmed in gold.







Another view of the bookends. I suppose that I have to begin a new search for Borghese hunter inspired pieces. If you would like to read more on Borghese the link that I found is here:

Borghese







Finally the stamp that started this search.



Uncle Griff on Borghese

4 comments:

Tara Dillard said...

Wish I had been with you !!

Didn't do too bad myself this weekend. Junking after an appt. Saturday & brought home big bag of loot for under $20.

Have a lovely week.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

eddieross said...

Perfect acquisitions indeed!

La Maison Fou said...

Tara;
Thanks for your comment.
I do love sharing the thrill of the hunt!

L.

La Maison Fou said...

Thank You Eddie.

I think I have the perfect spot for them.

L.